Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lower East Side Galleries



During My visit to The lower east side galleries, I definitely saw a difference between this gallery and the Chelsea galleries. I enjoyed the lower east side gallery as much as I enjoyed the Chelsea galleries because they both were different but still captivating. 

The lower east side was a very different neighborhood versus the neighborhood of the Chelsea galleries and they definitely gave me an idea of how i thought the galleries were going to be different from each other because both neighborhoods gave me different vibes.The Chelsea galleries environment felt like it was more upperclass and the galleries had much more fine art like sculptures and paintings and they were more historical . I also thought that the art was going to be expensive because of the type of environment.The lower east side seemed more casual and some of the art galleries seemed more grungier and rock n roll and I kind of knew what to expect.


 One gallery that I visited was Tatyana Murray "In The Woods". This gallery was different from the Chelsea galleries because they had images with a black and white ghostly look to it and I thought,that was very cool. You won't see this kind of art in the Chelsea galleries. The artwork in the Chelsea gallery were very simple compared to a lot in the LES. Another gallery that I went to was the "Strange Loop Gallery". This particular gallery was interesting because they had photographs of people doing drugs and the gallery was also a bookstore. It had a punk vibe to it and it was much more powerful than any Chelsea galleries because the photographs were real opposed to a painting or sculpture.So I thought that was quite different than what you might see at the Chelsea Galleries.  Lastly I visited "Stephan Stoyanov Gallery" and there was some canvases with abstract painting that i thought the Chelsea gallery might have in common with the LES. But what gave me a different outlook on the gallery was the basement that was playing videos of art from a projector.This is a very creative way of portraying art that I did not see at any of the Chelsea galleries. I also think that the LES and Chelsea galleries would not cater to the same collectors because a lot of the art in the LES galleries seems like people with a much more edgier taste will buy them and the collectors from the Chelsea galleries would not be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment