Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Chelsea Galleries Reaction

During my visit to the Chelsea galleries I really saw a lot of interesting different pieces of work by a few artists. Some I would definitely consider collecting and some..not so much. I really enjoyed Charles Freger "Wilder Mann" collection at the Yossi Milo Gallery. What I really enjoyed about this particular collection is that I can actually picture having some of these art works hanging in my living room and friends asking questions and being interesting in knowing about the it, just like I was when i first saw the art work. When i first saw the art work at the gallery, I wondered why the people are wearing animal costumes and are posing with them on landscapes. But then I realized maybe Freger was trying to define different types of cultures based on how some of the animals and creature look alike's were dressed and they probably also have some type o history. These pieces of art remind me of avant garde fashion which is different from what we are used to seeing. These pieces of art show humanity with nature, bodies of both animals and human beings are used in these arts pieces which shows personification. I love how the artist combined animal and human characteristics together. In particular, one of Freger's art work, the bear with the fangs, looks like it portrays a football player by the way it is standing and the look on its face when a football player is about to tackle another player. It's body also represents the way a football player body looks, very muscular and tall. The weird creature with the horn was very avant garde to me because of it's face and horns. I would most definitely want to display this artwork and I think it would be a good investment because this artwork has a lot to offer because people can see it in many different perspectives and many people would be interested in buying them because of how odd they look. I really enjoy these types of artwork I would definitely invest on them.

During my visit to the Zhang Xiaphong's "Pace" gallery, I found the art work to be creative and unique. But overall personally I didn't really like them due to my own personal taste, I like art that is really easy to conclude something of by just looking at it one time. I wouldn't collect this artwork and I would definitely keep them away in storage. I believe that the artist's work wouldn't be a good investment because I don't see the meaning behind them and what the artist is trying to tell his audience. I can't conclude what these art works may mean .I didn't really like the art work because I found the statues of the babies and women very abnormal and strange and  they didn't catch my attention like Freger's work did.  Therefore I wouldn't invest on these art works because I can't picture them having them hanged up anywhere in my house and they didn't catch my sight when i first saw them.

Charles Fregero
"Peluche, Evolene, Switzerland"
2010-2011

Charles Fregero
"Krampus, Bad Mitterndor, Austria"
2010-2011


Zhang Xiapong
"Young Women"
2013

Zhang Xiapong
"Baby"
2013

No comments:

Post a Comment